Burrard Physiotherapy Concussion Services
Marj Belot B.Sc.PT, FCAMPT, CAFCI, Registered Physiotherapist has been working with people with brain injuries for more than 30 years. She is a professional member of the BC Brain Injury Association and, in 2015 attained certification with Shift Concussion, a leading edge Concussion Management Team based in Guelph, Ontario. The concussion services provided at Burrard Physiotherapy reflect best practices in concussion management and are updated as new, clinically relevant research emerges.
Baseline Testing (No recent Concussions)
- Basic Baseline Testing ($30): Standardized computer test (ImPACT Test) measures baseline (without concussion) symptoms and cognitive skills. The test can be done from the comfort of your own home. Your information is kept on file and can be used for comparison after you have experienced a concussion to determine when you have returned to your baseline. The test measures attention span, working memory, sustained and selective attention time, non-verbal problem solving and reaction time. It’s the same test used by the NFL, NBA, MLB, WWE and Cirque de Soleil. This test is highly recommended for athletes involved in sports with high risk of concussion such as ice-hockey, other contact sports and cycling.
- Basic Plus Testing ($40): Standardized computer test (ImPACT Test) as above plus Sway Balance Testing. Sway testing is a computerized standardized balance test.
- Comprehensive Baseline Testing ($115): Baseline testing is done in the absence of recent concussion. Includes the ImPACT Test computerized cognitive test as well as balance and vision testing at Burrard Physiotherapy. The additional testing makes it easier to compare your performance after a concussion and determine readiness to return to work, play and/or school.
Post Concussion Physiotherapy Services
The person with a recent concussion should go to Emergency if any of the following apply:
Mental status is deteriorating (getting more confused, drowsy)
Headache that is getting progressively worse
People are having difficulty waking them/getting their attention
- Physiotherapy Assessment and Treatment (2 h $180) If you have sustained a concussion, it is recommended that you visit your physician in addition to attending physiotherapy.
You can expect:
- Arrive and check in
- Perform a standardized computer test to assess cognitive performance, the ImPACT test (a staff member will guide you through the process)
- The physiotherapist will review the results of the ImPACT test with you
- The physiotherapist will take a detailed medical history and perform a physiotherapy assessment.
- The physiotherapist will provide you with the tools you need to begin your road to recovery. This will always include education on what you should and should not be doing, advice on timing of return to sport, work and/or school will generally include home exercises. Treatment of associated injuries e.g. whiplash, may need manual therapy and other modalities to help get you back on your feet.
- Subsequent Physiotherapy Treatments (30 min $75) Not every concussion is the same. Your treatment will be customized to your needs.Treatments will always include education on optimal self-management and pacing strategies and could include exercises to stop dizziness, improve vision and improve balance. Guidance on optimal timing of return to sport, work and/or school will be provided and, Marj will work with your other team members (coaches, teachers, employers, other health care providers) at your request and may suggest you see additional team members such as specialized optometrists, neuropsychologists,occupational therapists if indicated.
- Exertion Testing and Reconditioning ($75 per hour) Once your physiotherapist determines you are ready, you will work with Burrard Physiotherapy Athletic Therapist to assess your exercise tolerance and readiness to gradually resume aerobic and other more demanding exercise. The athletic therapist and physiotherapist will work together to guide your return to sport
* The rates above are private rates. If you have funding from ICBC, MSP or other insurers our clinic manager will happy to discuss insurer payments that may minimize your out of pocket expense.