Fast track your return to sport with zero gravity treadmill training.
Always an industry leader, Burrard Physiotherapy has brought NASA technology to Vancouver! We are the only physiotherapy clinic in Vancouver to offer this revolutionary rehabilitation device. The AlterG treadmill is a full sized treadmill that is able to unload a person’s body weight up to 80%. This technology was developed by NASA to retrain astronauts returning from space, but has real world applications. I discovered this amazing technology while recovering from an injury myself. I sustained an injury to my L5 disc which caused compression of my nerve. Even though my disc had resolved significantly, I had been unable to even jog across the road without getting spasms in my left leg. When I went to test out the AlterG, I was able to run at 6miles per hour with no pain and no post exercise soreness as a result of impacting on my nerve. It changed not only my rehab but my outlook on my future. Here are just a few other conditions/scenarios the AlterG will facilitate recovery of:
- If you are a runner, but are finding it difficult to increase your mileage without tweaking things, the alterG will allow you to train in a completely pain free and injury free environment.
- Speedy recovery of any lower limb or spinal injury
- If you have had a hip or knee replacement you can return to walking and running faster and in a safe, weight controlled environment
- Early recovery from fractures, achillies tendon rupture, ACL repair
- Train without pain and reduce the stress to joints and muscles
- Recover effectively and with less pain after training or competition
- Anyone who has sustained a lower limb injury of any kind can rehab in a controlled weight bearing situation
- If you have balance problems associated with age
- Neurologic conditions such as MS, parkinsons, stroke—the AlterG allows you to not only increase your level of activity and train your gait, but does so in an environment where it is completely safe and almost impossible to fall.
- Injured athletes are able to maintain cardiovascular fitness and stay in shape while in a safe environment. By allowing athletes to walk with normal gait patterns, the AlterG also prevents development of bad muscle recruitment habits during rehab.
- If you are trying to loose weight, but are having trouble exercising without your joints getting sore, this is the solution.
Give us a call or book an appointment online. A physiotherapy assessment is required before first use to ensure it is the appropriate form of rehab for you and that you are able to safely use it.